NewsAugust 29 2012
The Vivian High School Alumni Association and the Vivian Community Club will host host a Rock n’ Roll reunion dance Sept. 1, 2012, in honor of the Vivian dance hall having been inducted into the South Dakota Rock n’ Roll Hall of Fame last April.
The dance will start at 9 PM following VHS alumni banquet.
According to Lonis Wendt, alumnus and community club member, hiring a band and hosting a dance seemed the best way to recognize and thank the community and the many volunteers who helped make Vivian dances unique.
DJ and the Cats, a rock n’ roll band with Lyman County roots, and also a 2012 inductee into the SD Hall of Fame will take the stage at the Vivian Dance Hall around 9 pm.
The Cats were hired by the late Bob Burns to play the Vivian Dance Hall in 1957.
"Playing at Vivian will be like book-ends for DJ and the Cats," said Travis Hutchison. "Our first dance job, (in 1957) and our last (2012).
Playing the dance will be founding members Terry Hutchison, lead guitar and vocals and his brother Travis Hutchison, bass and vocals. Also, Joe Erickson on piano and former DJ and the Cats drummer Don Spawn on drums and vocals.
Travis stated that while Don joined the band after the brothers moved to Brookings following their graduation from Presho High School, Vivian was Don’s first paid gig with the band.
"We talked Don, then a Brookings High School student and member of the orchestra, into going West River to Vivian with us to play. It was his launch into rock n’ roll!" said Travis. Don later formed his own band, the Monarchs, and was also inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2011.
"We persuaded them to make a return trip to Vivian for the reunion and hope people from the area will join us to reminisce the good old days of rock n’ roll Vivian style," said Lonis Wendt.
- LHS to crown King & Queen Monday, Sept. 26
- Lyman PF Chapter plans Banquet
- Kennebec hosts Rodeo for Cowboys and Cowgirls, age 4 to 18
- GLF Update: "The Miller Challenge"
- Pheasant survey indicates Lyman County routes among highest in state
- Court rules on County State’s election
- Enrollment up at the start of the new year
- Fall sports back in action
- Kennebec to celebrate Lake Byre Day
- Presho Firefighters receive Grain Bin Rescue equipment and training
- Lyman County ACS Survivor celebration event
- Swimming season comes to an end